8.12.14

scarlet ribbons











The last few months I have been enjoying some macro photography, especially of plants. This is one of my favourite plants in my garden, Leucospermum 'Scarlet Ribbons'. Sometimes they are called pincushion flowers, and they are in the protea family. I planted it from tiny tube stock and now it is massive! It flowers in spring, and this year with all the extra rain it seemed to flower for quite a long time, often with a second flower coming right behind the first (see the second photo). With the macro lens, you can see things you don't notice with your eyes - like with this flower I'd never quite noticed how it unfurls itself, until the stamens are all popped out. I'm always in awe of the colour of the 'ribbons' on these flowers and they are really low maintenance to grow. Plant one if you have room!

Have a good week,
H.

P.S. If you like these kind of photos, I have some 2015 calendars for sale, one of which is close up of plants (click here).

No comments: